Saturday, April 2, 2011

Saturday Night Out on the Cheap

I am a true believer that scrimping and saving in all aspects of life is necessary to obtain the good things later in life. That said, I still think that a couple needs an occasional date night. So when my husband and I want to enjoy a night at a "fancy" restaurant the bargain shopping doesn't stop. I always go to restaurant.com and find a local restaurant that is offering a fantastic discount. Go to the website and read everything carefully as some specials are not valid on the weekends. Sometimes our date night is on a Wednesday night because I was able to score a 75% discount on a meal during the week.

This week is "Restaurant Week" in my area. I found a restaurant that gave us a $50 coupon for $25. During Restaurant Week there is usually a special menu that offers a three-course meal for around $30 per person. After looking over the menu I chose a lobster chowder as my appetizer which costs $22, I got a seared sea scallop dinner which costs $28, and a flourless chocolate cake for dessert that sells for $8. My meal before tax and tip came to $58 for food for one person. Now double it for my husbands three courses and we're up to $116 for our total food.

Now it's Restaurant Week and that $58 each is now only $30 each. Now let's think back to the $50 dollar coupon we have. So basically the food came to $60 minus our $50 coupon. We only ended up owing $10 plus tip and tax for two, three-course meals that would normally cost $116.00! We spent the $25 for the coupon and $10 for the balance equaling $35 for $116 worth of food. Not that is a cheap but very fun date!

No comments:

Post a Comment